[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Breaking callbacks on unlink

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Wed, 25 Jan 2012 23:04:57 -0500

> With this particular issue, again, there are two irreconcilable desired
> behaviors:
>
> =A0- when accessing a legacy/misbehaving fileserver, yield an error after
> =A0 N seconds of no progress
>
> =A0- when accessing a legacy/misbehaving fileserver, hang forever in the
> =A0 face of no progress

I don't think anyone wants this.

?

> But to tell me that it is the universal "right" option is arrogant and
> inconsiderate of the differences in different site circumstances.
>
> And note that yes, I am aware of the cache consistency problems with the
> former approach.

I think some medium approach is required. Not merely desirable, but necessa=
ry.
1.6.1pre2 includes one, but not necessarily the desired one.

> And, although sometimes it seems like this idea is
> unfathomable to some people in the community, some people _do_ exist
> that do not place cache consistency at their highest priority.

The problem there, to me, is only when those people wish to participate in =
the
global AFS namespace, which is a second issue here, the "play nice or go ho=
me"
issue.

--=20
Derrick