[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Breaking callbacks on unlink

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:51:37 -0600

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:19:20 -0800
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:
> > Well, I was talking about idledead stuff here, specifically client
> > behavior, which isn't going to screw up another client.
>
> If you abandon and retry operations on a locked vnode and hence tie up
> more and more server threads waiting on the same vnode, you will
> eventually cause a file server meltdown, which most definitely *does*
> screw up other clients.

That's what it is like _now_, yes. But speaking in a more general
manner, the fileserver really should have mechanisms to deal with this.

I mean, I don't want to ship a client that will DoS a fileserver, but at
some point we need to make the fileserver more robust against this kind
of thing. You shouldn't need to have, like, a license to run an AFS
client on the public infra.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net