[OpenAFS-devel] Performance of Thunderbird on windows with mail folders stored in AFS

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2012 00:31:21 -0400

--------------enigDB4C3B1C1930F6F99E9243F5

On 6/28/2012 4:21 PM, Douglas E. Engert wrote:
> The best I can tell, Thunderbird for the local mail folders is doing
> synchronous writes, which is another performance problem in itself,

SysInternals Process Monitor will tell you exactly what thunderbird.exe
is doing.

> although it looks like a Delete/Copy/Move has its own thread (or its us=
ing
> the main thread which might be way it is not responding)  but as
> a user, deleting messages (that get copied to the Trash folder)
> it becomes single threaded waiting on the Trash folder and I have to wa=
it
> to do the next delete.
>=20
> Note that by buffering I get about 60 times improvement in throughput,
> so the performance hit is caused more by the number of writes, not on h=
ow
> much data is written.

That makes sense because for each write an extent exchange with the
afsd_service is going to take place.

> Could Windows be doing some throttling based on the number of writes?

Unlikely.

> I don't get this bad of performance using the Windows DFS as I do AFS.

DFS only uses the Windows page cache.  It doesn't have a cache of its own=
=2E

> CPU time, I/O and network I/O are NOT maxed out during one of these
> Delete operations.

I wouldn't expect them to be.  Thunderbird is serializing one request at
a time.

There are many things that could be done to further improve performance
in the extent management interfaces.  However, my focus has been on
application compatibility and stability.  Those are the areas which the
small number of organizations contributing to Windows client development
consider to be the priority.

Jeffrey Altman