[OpenAFS-devel] Moving Forwards

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Sun, 9 Sep 2012 14:45:41 -0400

--_71FD0BD1-D4E1-FDCB-AF57-59A60076D169_

The original wiki was hosted on central.org.  It was shutdown due to spam a=
nd Derrick moved the content to dementia.org.

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Wilkinson
Sent: 9/9/2012 11:56 AM
To: jaltman@your-file-system.com
Cc: jason@rampaginggeek.com; openafs-devel@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Moving Forwards

On 9 Sep 2012, at 15:42, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> OpenAFS RT and the wiki used to be much more open.   The reason they
> were locked down years ago is because the quantity of spam and defacing
> became overwhelming. =20

I don't think this is correct. The wiki is as open as it ever was. When we =
were using TWiki, hosted on dementia.org, we allowed self registration, whi=
ch led to lots of spam. For a while, we added an 'approval' requirement, wh=
ere Derrick would enable each genuine new account. When we moved over to ik=
iwiki, we enabled self registration again (for those with valid OpenID acco=
unts). This has led to an unfortunate increase in the incidence of spam, bu=
t to my knowledge, we haven't yet disabled self registration there.

Since I started contributing to OpenAFS, RT has always been locked down in =
terms of who can comment and manipulate tickets. We have talked on a number=
 of occassions about relaxing access but this has always stalled on either =
a concrete proposal of who should have access (which I believe I have now p=
rovided - whoever wants access), and on the availability of someone to do t=
he work to implement a self registration mechanism that is spam resistant.

> must ensure that anonymous accounts cannot be
> used to easily generate false tickets or deface existing ones.

In terms of ticket generation, this is a red herring. Anonymous users can g=
enerate false tickets simply by mailing the openafs-bugs address. I doubt t=
hat opening the system up will lead to more spam than we already see throug=
h that conduit.

I agree that we want to avoid the defacing of existing tickets. The proposa=
l of giving access to anyone who subscribes to openafs-devel seems like a g=
ood one, if we can make it work in practice.

If Chaskiel or Jeffrey don't have the time or inclination to help us change=
 the configuration of rt.central.org (which might be complicated because it=
 provides RT to other users as well), we do always have the option of hosti=
ng an OpenAFS RT on openafs.stanford.edu.

Cheers,

Simon=

--_71FD0BD1-D4E1-FDCB-AF57-59A60076D169_

f; font-size: 11pt;">The original wiki was hosted on central.org.&nbsp; It =
was shutdown due to spam and Derrick moved the content to dementia.org.<br>=
-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold;">From: </span><span style=3D"font-family: T=
ahoma,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">Simon Wilkinson</span><br><span style=
=3D"font-family: Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold;">Se=
nt: </span><span style=3D"font-family: Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"=
>9/9/2012 11:56 AM</span><br><span style=3D"font-family: Tahoma,sans-serif;=
 font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold;">To: </span><span style=3D"font-family=
: Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">jaltman@your-file-system.com</span><=
br><span style=3D"font-family: Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-wei=
ght: bold;">Cc: </span><span style=3D"font-family: Tahoma,sans-serif; font-=
size: 10pt;">jason@rampaginggeek.com; openafs-devel@openafs.org</span><br><=
span style=3D"font-family: Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-weight:=
 bold;">Subject: </span><span style=3D"font-family: Tahoma,sans-serif; font=
p 2012, at 15:42, Jeffrey Altman wrote:<br>&gt; OpenAFS RT and the wiki use=
d to be much more open.&nbsp;&nbsp; The reason they<br>&gt; were locked dow=
n years ago is because the quantity of spam and defacing<br>&gt; became ove=
rwhelming.&nbsp; <br><br>I don't think this is correct. The wiki is as open=
 as it ever was. When we were using TWiki, hosted on dementia.org, we allow=
ed self registration, which led to lots of spam. For a while, we added an '=
approval' requirement, where Derrick would enable each genuine new account.=
 When we moved over to ikiwiki, we enabled self registration again (for tho=
se with valid OpenID accounts). This has led to an unfortunate increase in =
the incidence of spam, but to my knowledge, we haven't yet disabled self re=
gistration there.<br><br>Since I started contributing to OpenAFS, RT has al=
ways been locked down in terms of who can comment and manipulate tickets. W=
e have talked on a number of occassions about relaxing access but this has =
always stalled on either a concrete proposal of who should have access (whi=
ch I believe I have now provided - whoever wants access), and on the availa=
bility of someone to do the work to implement a self registration mechanism=
 that is spam resistant.<br><br>&gt; must ensure that anonymous accounts ca=
nnot be<br>&gt; used to easily generate false tickets or deface existing on=
es.<br><br>In terms of ticket generation, this is a red herring. Anonymous =
users can generate false tickets simply by mailing the openafs-bugs address=
. I doubt that opening the system up will lead to more spam than we already=
 see through that conduit.<br><br>I agree that we want to avoid the defacin=
g of existing tickets. The proposal of giving access to anyone who subscrib=
es to openafs-devel seems like a good one, if we can make it work in practi=
ce.<br><br>If Chaskiel or Jeffrey don't have the time or inclination to hel=
p us change the configuration of rt.central.org (which might be complicated=
 because it provides RT to other users as well), we do always have the opti=
Simon</body></html>=

--_71FD0BD1-D4E1-FDCB-AF57-59A60076D169_--