IPv6 strawman plan: Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Moving Forwards

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:35:20 -0400

--------------enigF958662EAD9DB61C8958D220

On 9/10/2012 3:56 AM, Simon Wilkinson wrote:
>=20
> On 10 Sep 2012, at 06:19, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>=20
>> While you may fork the code base, you may not fork the AFS3 wire
>> protocols.
>=20
> This is just not true. There are no internet standards police. In the s=
ame way as anyone can run a service that looks like HTTP, but isn't quite=
 on port 80, there's absolutely nothing stopping Troy (or anyone else) ru=
nning a mutant filserver on port 7000. If you believe that the AFS tradem=
ark remains enforceable, you might get into trouble if you called that se=
rvice AFS - but that's not what Troy is proposing

Simon,

You are debating the difference in meaning between "can" and "may".
Troy is most certainly capable of deploying services that will break
existing deployments.  He wouldn't be the first one to do it.  However,
there isn't anyone that is going to give him permission to do so.

Jeffrey Altman