[OpenAFS-devel] unix sockets (and maybe devices?)

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Wed, 19 Sep 2012 22:40:48 -0500

What is our general consensus on unix sockets?

I'm attempting to run an AFS server out of an AFS root filesystem,
and several things like to make sockets in /etc/openafs/server/local.

I understand that 'in theory' we might want to distribute sockets at
some point, but why does SYNC_bindSock need to fail?

Thu Sep 20 03:06:56 2012 SYNC_bindSock: bind failed with (1)

Following the principle of least surprise, Wouldn't it be better
to at least make the socket work on the local machine?

If someone wants distributed unix domain sockets, then I'd argue
something like OpenSSI is a better solution. I don't think any
filesystem (including Lustre) has tried to make unix sockets work
across machines.

http://openssi.org/cgi-bin/view?pf=1&page=features.html