[OpenAFS-devel] unix sockets (and maybe devices?)

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Thu, 20 Sep 2012 01:05:39 -0500

> Perhaps...once the following conditions are met:
>
> 1. we've either: a) resolved the local/distributed debate, or b) found
> a way to do local-only now without precluding distributed from being a
> future strategy (the complications of doing local-only--sans a
> cohesive strategy for implementing distributed fifos in the
> future--have been discussed at-length on this list in the past);

Was there any sort of resolution, or did we just have a stalemate
of opinion?

I see the point of having a distributed toolkit for heterogenous
systems, and there could be some really interesting and powerful
stuff you could do with distributed unix sockets protected with
filesystem ACL's. (Say collaborative editing for a document, ala
Etherpad, for instance)

But in the meantime, the perfect is the enemy of the good, and
lack of functioning sockets makes it a real pain to use the amazing
distributed toolkit we *do* have for things using it as the rootfs
for a 'cloud' based operating system.

What's the roadmap for first, local-only unix sockts, and then
defining the right rpcs so the code might someday be written?