[OpenAFS-devel] Re: fileserver -> client NAT ping

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 14 Aug 2013 15:32:39 -0500

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 15:48:41 -0400
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> Clients that are behind a NAT with an old enough client are very sad
> because every time the port mapping drops they are assigned a new port
> number.  The file server then attempts to contact them at the old port
> number and fails.  In the meantime they experience a timeout.  I
> certainly received plenty of complaints from work at home end users.

It will be slow, but it shouldn't break. If it does break, that's a
fileserver bug, since changing addresses should not cause a failure to
access a file. If I got a complaint every time a user thought AFS was
slow...

[...]
> I'm quite skeptical this will help in a majority of cases.

Okay, I disagree; I could go into why, but that's not the point. I'm not
seeing reasons _not_ to do this.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net