[OpenAFS-devel] Good UI/design practice for showing file transfer status?

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sun, 8 Dec 2013 19:23:18 -0600

So one thing I've run into quite frequently is that I write a file
on some machine on a slow DSL link into a sudirectory of my home directory,
and then I'll do something like 'ls -lha' in that same directory, sorta
hoping to get a useful file size report maybe telling me the progress of
how much data actually got to the server.

What happens is the 'ls' hangs and I can't even ctrl-C it or put it
in the background.

It seems that 'rxdebug localhost 7001' on the machine I wrote the file
gives me some good information, but that's not exactly a tool most users
would use.

I imagine something like the dropbox or google drive interfaces that show
an 'upload progress' indicator would be nice, but what's the right way to
handle this, and how would I actually get this information?

I'd want to see it in the GUI on my laptop/desktop, and in the tmux/screen
status bar on machines I'm logged into a remote server on.

Any ideas?