[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Good UI/design practice for showing file transfer status?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:49:09 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 13:29 -0500, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Dec 2013, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>>> (The rest of this makes me think yet again of *BSD's control-T. I wonder
>>> if that's hookable.)
>>
>> It just sends SIGINFO, and there's a default handler that does something
>> which is normally useful.  dd installs a custom handler that is more
>> useful.
>
> Sure; what I'm wondering is if there's some way to show some basic AFS
> stats in the default handler.

I don't believe so.  It looks like there's a lot of tty magic involved,
and I am not seeing any hooks that kernel modules (or even just
filesystems in general) could use.

http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/kern/tty_info.c#L214 is what seems to be
producing the default behavior.

-Ben