[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] tapeconfig settings for LTO-5 tape drive

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Sun, 2 Jun 2013 10:58:59 -0400

On Fri, 31 May 2013 08:34:45 -0400
chas williams - CONTRACTOR <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> On Fri, 31 May 2013 08:09:33 -0400
> John Sopko <sopko@cs.unc.edu> wrote:
> > Anyway I did some testing to prove the limit is 2TB's and  also to test out
> > my new LTO5 tape
> > under Red Hat 6.4 and compression is working and the performance seems ok.
>
> Would you be willing to try a patch to increase this to 4TB?

I took a harder look at this problem.  Fixing this limit to go beyond
4TB could be done w/o creating a new RPC call.  Since the most
significant bit of the tape size field isn't used one could use this to
indicate that size field (on tape) has a multiplier other than 1, like
1k or 1M for instance.

Is there really a need to specify a tape size to the byte?