[OpenAFS-devel] Re: current OS support

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 5 Jun 2013 10:14:07 -0500

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 22:40:52 -0400
Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

> Which OS's do we support for clients & servers for 1.6 and 1.7? Which
> platforms are not well tested?

For servers, once you have a "real" unix, portability usually doesn't
matter as much for us. But Linux and Solaris are the most well supported
and heavily tested. AIX is still relatively well tested, I think. A few
people run servers on FreeBSD, I think; at least one site runs them on
NetBSD, and there may be one site that runs them on OpenBSD. I've heard
that we work on IllumOS, but I don't know if anyone really uses it "for
real". HP-UX is not really tested anymore, but the last time anyone
tried it did work. Last I heard, Windows servers don't work. I'm not
sure about OS X (someone else can fill that in).

For clients, obviously Windows and OS X clients work. Otherwise, I think
this generally follows the same pattern as servers, but portability
issues matter much more.

The above mentions also refer to x86/amd64 only, with the obvious
exceptions: Solaris (amd64, SPARC), AIX (POWER etc), and HP-UX (PA-RISC;
never tested on Itanium). The non-x86 architectures on Linux, for
example, I don't think are well tested, but they may work (the build
system recognizes them and all).

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net