[OpenAFS-devel] prdb format extension for extended authentication names

Simon Wilkinson simonxwilkinson@gmail.com
Fri, 21 Jun 2013 12:06:53 +0100

On 10 Jun 2013, at 17:24, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

> I have left out the idea of a UUID attached to the generic extended =
data for now.  I think that the main benefit from such a concept would =
be if operating in a mixed environment of new and old ptservers, or if =
it is necessary to revert to the old code for some reason.

At the moment, OpenAFS doesn't support running mixed dbserver =
environments. This is a hangover from the IBM days, but pretty much all =
of our documentation is clear that a dbserver upgrade requires a =
complete shutdown, upgrade, restart process. I don't think a UUID helps =
in enough of the edge cases to be worthwhile having.=20

There are two things I think we should have to make this easier. =
Firstly, we should actually use the version number, and increase it each =
time there is a change made to a ubik database that isn't backwards =
compatible. Secondly, we should make sure that we don't end up with n^2 =
possible db formats. That means that we should never make the ubik =
database format dependent upon configure flags. That probably means that =
we should just turn on supergroups for everyone.

Cheers,

Simon