[OpenAFS-devel] crypto backend and integration for rxgk

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Thu, 02 May 2013 11:07:34 -0400

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Necessary is debatable.  Desirable, well, all the reasons Debian tries
> hard to eliminate bundled libraries.  The kernel's crypto library (or
> even an openssl krb5 backend) will offer aesni acceleration, which
> hcrypto does not.

OpenAFS cannot use the Linux kernel's crypto because last I checked the
Linux KCrypto was GPLONLY, and OpenAFS was not GPL and therefore
couldn't use the API.

> I'm all for the initial implementation being hcrypto-only, but I think
> that it makes sense to leave room for future expansion.

I think it's a reasonable goal, but it's going to require lots of
various plug-ins to support it on each platform/environment.

> -Ben

-derek