[OpenAFS-devel] Re: crypto backend and integration for rxgk

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 2 May 2013 11:01:10 -0500

http://openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.6.2.1/fedora-18/x86_64/kmod-openafs-1.6.2.1-1.3.6.10_4.fc18.x86_64.rpm

> I can't see why someone would actually care about this... If you grab
> any android device there are significantly worse violations of the
> intent of the linux-kernel GPL

Other people have a lot more resources and sway than we do (the ZFS on
Linux people I think just shim a bunch of GPLONLY symbols). I thought
the reason we didn't shim stuff was for similar reasons we don't violate
Apple's KPI. If we completely ignore their rules, they completely ignore
us, and our level of cooperation drops to near zero.

If we do start ignoring that, there are plenty of other interfaces I
would start using.

> than something that allows two clearly Debian free software guidelines
> compliant software packages to co-exist.

Trying to explain to someone that "GPL-incompatible" doesn't always mean
"proprietary evil corporate nvidia microsoft" can be a more difficult
conversation than you might think.

It is also possible to ask if they would ever change GPLONLY symbols to
be regular ones. That doesn't happen often, but I believe it has
happened.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net