[OpenAFS-devel] rxkad.keytab rotation

Simon Wilkinson simonxwilkinson@gmail.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:47:34 +0100

On 22 Oct 2013, at 18:41, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> So anyway, a few ways to more robustly solve this. I'll give them
> identifiers as I sometimes do so they can be referred to =
unambiguously.

Requiring additional configuration, further keyfiles, or modifications =
to the existing KeyFileExt format all sound like very heavyweight =
solutions to the problem. In particular, I'm concerned that they'll make =
what is already a tricky area of configuration even harder.

So, I suspect the best bet is

D) When we're creating a new server connection we try the key with the =
highest kvno in the keyfile for each server. If that key fails to work, =
then we try the one with the next highest, and so on, until we either =
succeed, or run out of keys. This does mean that an attacker could force =
us to use an older key, but only for the period during which the =
rollover is being performed.

Cheers,

Simon