[OpenAFS-devel] Re: dealing with rxevent queue stalls

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:40 -0500

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 18:31:09 +0000
Mark Vitale <mvitale@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> The concensus so far seems to be that I should only attempt to address
> this in 1.6 (not master), and then only if I can find a low-impact way
> to log the warning messages.  Have I gauged that correctly?

I think it's pretty safe to just detect the situation and log it, if you
can do it without more locks in a critical path. More than that may or
may not be objectionable, depending on details and what's necessary etc
etc.

I don't think you should be avoiding this for master; no matter how
fast/better the code for processing rxevents is, if the rxevent handler
only gets to run every e.g. once every 20 seconds, it still only gets
events to run once every 20 seconds. That can always happen in LWP if an
LWP is not yielding for any reason, and it can happen with any threading
implementation if there is a bug.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net