[OpenAFS-devel] Orphaning various AFS-related work

Russ Allbery eagle@eyrie.org
Sun, 03 Aug 2014 19:33:28 -0700

Hello everyone,

As some of you already know, I'm moving on from Stanford and joining the
Dropbox site reliability engineering team (in other words, I'll be working
on their servers, not on the Dropbox product).  My last day at Stanford
will be August 15th.  My work on OpenAFS and various related software was
primarily related to my job at Stanford, so I'm going to be orphaning a
variety of work as part of this move.

I should note that this decision is not at the behest of my new employer,
who would have been happy to work out arrangements to let me continue to
work on AFS-related things.  But most of my impetus for working on AFS was
due to Stanford's needs, and I've decided to take advantage of this change
to shed some obligations and make room for other hobbies in my life.

I will also be stepping down as maintainer of the OpenAFS packaging for
Debian (and therefore also for Ubuntu), although I am happy to help
sponsor uploads for others and aid with transition to other maintainers.

Also, I am orphaning the following AFS-related packages, all of which are
free to a good home.

* AFS Balancing
* AFS Mount points
* AFS Reporting DB
* afs-admin-tools (https://github.com/rra/afs-admin-tools)
* afs-backend
* afs-monitor (https://github.com/rra/afs-monitor)
* AFS::PAG (https://github.com/rra/afs-pag)
* pam-afs-session (https://github.com/rra/pam-afs-session)

These are all also available from the software section of my web site at
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/>.

If you would like to take over primary maintenance of any of these
packages, let me know.  For those that I had already moved to Git, I've
pushed a copy of the Git repository to Github to make it easier for others
to pick them up.  For the ones that are still languishing in CVS, I can
probably provide most of the CVS ,v files via email by request.  (I need
to check them first to be sure there isn't anything Stanford-private in
them.)

For all of these packages, until a new maintenance team can adopt them (or
until it's been long enough that it doesn't look like there's any ongoing
interest), I will release updates for any serious security issues.  I may
also be able to make some final releases of some of these packages to
incorporate various pending work (but please don't count on that, as I
have rather a lot to take care of in the next couple of weeks).  But,
apart from that, I won't be making any more releases of these packages.

In some cases, Stanford will have some ongoing interest in the code, and
someone else at Stanford may make subsequent releases, but I don't expect
that to happen in the near future for any of the packages listed above.
Their current versions generally meet Stanford's needs as is.

I will continue maintaining many of my other packages, including kstart,
going forward, and I'm sure I'll continue to see many of you around in the
Kerberos community.

In a few weeks, I'll be unsubscribing from the various OpenAFS mailing
lists, but always feel free to send me direct email at this address,
although obviously I won't be able to offer much help with AFS-related
things since I no longer expect to be using AFS.

I've been very happy to meet many of you through AFS-related things over
the years.  I hope to see you all around the larger open source community
in the future.  Best of luck with future development and improvements to
AFS!

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>