[OpenAFS-devel] Re: freezes acessing /afs/.git

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:46:51 -0500

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 13:26:09 -0400
chas williams - CONTRACTOR <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> Take a look at http://gerrit.openafs.org/#change,11390
>
> I am not sure one needs to cache positive results.  In fact, I don't
> know that the kernel module ever forgets a cell it has learned via the
> afsdb lookup (unless you intervene with fs)

But we already cache the positive results; you just said in the next
sentence that we do. The subsystem that remembers cell information has
logic for timeouts and has the structure for remembering the cells; you
just duplicated it it an entirely separate place except only for
negative results for some reason. So now we'd have two separate caches
to deal with, which seems rather confusing and error prone, and I see no
reason to do it like that.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net