[OpenAFS-devel] Re: freezes acessing /afs/.git

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:25:33 -0400

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 13:36:30 +0000
Brandon Allbery <ballbery@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-08-18 at 09:08 -0400, chas williams - CONTRACTOR wrote:
> > Immediately, we could stop lookup up names are that known to be
> > invalid
> > DNS names.  For instance, names including '_' (like DS_Store) should
> > never be resolved.
>
> '_' is only invalid in A and AAAA RRs; it is entirely valid in SRV and I
> would expect AFSDB.

My interpretation is a bit different then I guess.  RFC2782 says that
the word domain is used in the 'strict RFC 1034' sense and the record
format is given as:

        _Service._Proto.Name TTL Class SRV Priority Weight Port Target

   Name
        The domain this RR refers to.  The SRV RR is unique in that the
        name one searches for is not this name; the example near the end
        shows this clearly.