[OpenAFS-devel] Linux: inode freed while on LRU (change in d_splice_alias?)

Michael Laß lass@mail.upb.de
Fri, 05 Dec 2014 08:20:14 +0100

Hi,

an ArchLinux user reported an issue with OpenAFS on recent Linux kernels
to me. When unmounting /afs after using it he gets the following error:

> openafs: inode freed while on LRU
> ------------[ cut here ]------------
> kernel BUG at /var/lib/dkms/openafs/1.6.11pre1/build/src/libafs/MODLOAD-3.17.4-1-ARCH-SP/osi_vfsops.c:291!

This happens using OpenAFS 1.6.10 (11549, 11550 applied on top) and
1.6.11pre1.

It seems that this issue was introduced after Linux 3.17.2, so I had a
look at the changes and found this one here introduced in 3.17.3:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/11/11/1597

If I understand this correctly the kernel now frees the inode reference
that's still used in OpenAFS. Is that correct? If not, some further
debugging might be necessary and the user will jump into this thread.

Greetings,
Michael