[OpenAFS-devel] Building OpenAFS on SmartOS

Coy Hile coy.hile@coyhile.com
Sat, 3 May 2014 15:01:26 -0400

Good afternoon, all.

I=92m working on getting OpenAFS to build on SmartOS.  SmartOS builds =
completely with gcc these days (unlike, perhaps, other bits bits of the =
greater illumos/Solaris ecosystem.  However, the Solaris-specific bits =
of the source tree assume that one will be using the Studio compilers =
exclusively.  I=92ve got two questions. =20

Firstly, is there any guide or best practice for converting a makefile =
between supporting the Studio compilers and gcc?  So far, I=92ve figured =
out that -KPIC in CFLAGS becomes -fPIC, and that there=92s no -mt option =
to gcc. =20

The second is perhaps of more use; what is the consensus about doing the =
changes to autoconf=92d bits to support gcc if on SmartOS?  Would case =
statements for =93joyent=94 in uname -v output be the best way to =
differentiate between SmartOS and everybody else who still uses studio?  =
If I can get the first question sorted, I can certainly get something =
that will work; the question is whether a local patch that I keep around =
in my own repos, or if it=92s something the larger community would like =
to see contributed back.

Thanks,

-c=