[OpenAFS-devel] open issues for an openafs 1.8 branch

Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 01 Oct 2014 05:43:37 -0400

In message <alpine.GSO.1.10.1410010031030.17516@multics.mit.edu>,Benjamin =
Kaduk writes:
>I don't think libtool gives us per-symbol versioning.  We as upstream hav=
>to either bump SONAME or nothing at all.

I guess (see below) then bump the name.  There were a few exported symbol
changes that probably break the ABI between master and stable.

>> there anything other than OpenAFS utils linked against those shared
>> libs on debian? If not, it probably doesn't matter what you do.
>
>It doesn't look like it, but I don't think we should use that as an excus=
>to be lazy.

Not lazy, but if nothing else is linked against it then it should be
safe to do whatever you want.  You aren't going to break anyone else's
binaries.