[OpenAFS-devel] open issues for an openafs 1.8 branch

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Thu, 2 Oct 2014 11:43:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, chas williams - CONTRACTOR wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 12:18:38 -0400 (EDT)
> Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) wrote:
> >
> > > Not lazy, but if nothing else is linked against it then it should be
> > > safe to do whatever you want.  You aren't going to break anyone else's
> > > binaries.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that there are external consumers of these things, they're
> > just site-local tools that are not in Debian.
>
> I guess you should ask openafs-users how onerous it would be for them
> to rebuild their local tools or how many have local tools linked
> against shared libraries.

I don't see why.  Incrementing SONAME is not a hardship for us, nor should
it be a hardship for our consumers, as they can keep the old library
around until they need to rebuild.
It is the clearly Correct thing to do, since we have changed our ABI,
regardless of whether we believe there are any external consumers of the
changed ABI.

Am I missing something?

-Ben