[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Compiling openafs on arm64/aarch64 architecture

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 17 Oct 2014 16:40:08 -0500

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 14:07:31 -0700
Micheal Waltz <mwaltz@qualcomm.com> wrote:

> Reading the ARM docs it appears we should use the
> aarch64-arm-none-eabi target, as using the armv8a-arm-none-eabi target
> is the 32-bit state of armv8 [3]. I also am assuming we would want to
> not disable fpu registers in order to avoid performance hits.

That's common in kernel code, I thought; maintaining fpu state is added
overhead and it's not commonly used. Unless the crypto stuff has some
special handling to allow it to be used for performance reasons.

> Unfortuantely I'm not sure where I can disable the use of the
> -mgeneral-regs-only flag, as I don't see it in the Makefile or
> configure as an option.

You're compiling for the kernel, so it's likely coming from Linux; when
building a kernel module, the Linux build system tells us what compiler
flags to use (a lot of them, anyway). There might be a way to disable it
from there if you look around, or maybe we just shouldn't be using a
floating-point type (note that we're not actually using the data, from a
brief glance).

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net