[OpenAFS-devel] SIGKILL ignored by afsd

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Thu, 23 Jun 2016 19:07:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016, Michael Meffie wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 10:04:21 +0200 (CEST)
> Harald Barth <haba@kth.se> wrote:
>

> > > I'm experiencing the strange issue that sending `SIGKILL` to `afsd`
> > > using `sudo pkill -KILL afsd` (returns with `0`) doesn't have any effect
> > > on afsd which remains running (...)
> >
> > I'd guess afsd is waiting for a syscall return.
>
> Hello,
>
> It is possible the "afsd" progress Kalle was trying to kill was actually
> the afsdb dns lookup helper daemon, which normally is in a syscall
> until it is dispatched to do some work.

Well, pkill will hit all matching processes.

But, to first order, all afsd processes should be thought of as kernel
threads, and so are not subject to normal signals.

For Kalle, to be explicit: this is not a bug.  afsd processes should not
terminate until the AFS client is stopped, which is done via "umount /afs"
(normally) or "afsd -shutdown" (if something went wrong ... hopefully it
would actually work).

-Ben