[OpenAFS-devel] GNU glibc >=2.26 and openafs

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@mit.edu
Sat, 9 Dec 2017 13:45:27 -0600

On Sat, Dec 09, 2017 at 05:29:31PM +0100, Peter Gille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the recent release of GNU glibc 2.26[1] the sunrpc implementation was
> deprecated. This means that if you do not use the
> '--enable-obsolete-rpc' configure option when compiling glibc your
> openafs compile will fail with a missing include[2], and probably some
> further problems if you fix that.
>
> In the release notes for glibc it states that you should instead use
> alternative rpc implementations like TIRPC or rpcsvc-proto. As far as I
> can see there is no support in the openafs configure script to use those
> instead.
>
> Would it be possible to use those alternative implementations if found?
> Are they workable replacements for the old sunrpc?

I think that as of commit 7293ddf325b149cae60d3abe7199d08f196bd2b9
(so, quite some time ago), we are supposed to only be using the
in-tree XDR bits, at least for userspace builds.  So it should be
easy to resolve this issue by just removing the offending include
directives -- I took a stab in the chain of patches ending at
https://gerrit.openafs.org/#/c/12802/ .

> This is currently causing problems for my gentoo install where the
> packagers have already switched off sunrpc support in glibc, and I
> expect that other distributions will also turn this off in the future.

Well, it looks like 2.26 is only in debian experimental so far, so
my systems (on unstable) haven't picked it up yet.  Could you give
the above patches a try and see if they help?

Thanks,

Ben