[OpenAFS-devel] GNU glibc >=2.26 and openafs

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@mit.edu
Tue, 12 Dec 2017 16:34:42 -0600

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 04:20:17PM +0100, Peter Gille wrote:

> On 2017-12-12 01:30:42 +0000, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 07:43:39PM +0100, Peter Gille wrote:
> >>
> >> On 2017-12-11 16:54:00 +0000, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:
> >>

> > Huh, I thought straight ./configure would use the internal roken.
> >
> > Maybe you should send me (unicast) your config.log.
>
> I will send you a config.log of the working build (see below)
> separately.

Thanks.  Apparently I was wrong, and straight ./configure does look
for system roken/hcrypto/etc..  In your case, the system roken was
usable but the system hcrypto was not (apparently it was not present
at all, since evp.h was not found).

> >> After applying your patch I now get the further error:
> >>
> >> make[3]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/net-fs/openafs-1.8.0_pre3-r1/work/openafs-1.8.0pre3/src/libafscp'
> >> gcc     -O   -I/var/tmp/portage/net-fs/openafs-1.8.0_pre3-r1/work/openafs-1.8.0pre3/src/config -I/var/tmp/portage/net-fs/openafs-1.8.0_pre3-r1/work/openafs-1.8.0pre3/include -I. -I.     -pthread -D_REENTRANT -DAFS_PTHREAD_ENV  -o afscp_callback.o -c afscp_callback.c
> >> gcc @KRB5_CPPFLAGS@    -O   -I/var/tmp/portage/net-fs/openafs-1.8.0_pre3-r1/work/openafs-1.8.0pre3/src/config -I/var/tmp/portage/net-fs/openafs-1.8.0_pre3-r1/work/openafs-1.8.0pre3/include -I. -I.     -pthread -D_REENTRANT -DAFS_PTHREAD_ENV  -o afscp_server.o -c afscp_server.c
> >> gcc: error: @KRB5_CPPFLAGS@: No such file or directory
> >>
> >> This seems like some settings the configure script is trying to find,
> >> but I'm not at all good at working with autotools. I tried this with
> >> both Heimdal 7.4 and then I tried upgrading to the newly released 7.5
> >> and got the same error.
> >
> > This one seems pretty bizzare, as AC_SUBST() is supposed to cause
> > configure to expand that @KRB5_CPPFLAGS@ out to something useful.
> >
> > Might be worth trying anew in a clean (freshly extracted, plus
> > patch) tree just in case something got confused somewhere.
>
> Ah, ok. I tried it now by hand and things compiled without problems. I
> did not try to run it yet, but it seems like it should work.
>
> This issue was triggered by me being lazy and doing 'ebuild
> openafs-1.8.0_pre3-r1.ebuild prepare' to automatically unpack and patch
> the openafs sources. As it turns that also runs the following, which I
> didn't expect:
>
>         eaclocal -I src/cf
>         eautoconf
>         eautoconf -o configure-libafs configure-libafs.ac
>         eautoheader
>
> According to a colleague who has quite a lot of experience with openafs
> and kerberos there are known issues with running the wrong version of
> autoconf with the wrong version of heimdal, so he said that something
> like this isn't entirely entirely unexpected.

I'm somewhat curious to know more about those cases, though only
idly curious, as I'm not convinced it's actually relevant here.
We're not using the heimdal configure.ac/etc., just the openafs
ones.

It is sounding like we should probably leave this particular issue
for now, unless/until the portage maintainer for openafs wants to
take up the issue.  Does that sound okay?

Thanks again,

Ben