[OpenAFS-devel] RX/AFS support in tcpdump

Denis Ovsienko denis@ovsienko.info
Wed, 18 Jul 2018 17:45:43 +0100

Hello list.

I have an inquiry regarding OpenAFS protocol(s) encoding.

tcpdump used to have a decoder for a protocol that works on UDP ports range [7000, 7009]. In the IANA registry this exact range is assigned to a family of AFS3 services. The tcpdump decoder is implemented in the file print-rx.c, which internally mentions AFS quite a number of times. So I take it the code in it has something to do with the work done on this mailing list.

The problem is, since GCC became smart enough to detect possible fall-through, tcpdump started to have 4 fall-through compiler warnings in that file, please see https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump/issues/618 for the exact details.

It would be nice to get rid of the warnings, but I failed to interpret the code flow without a specification of AFS. print-rx.c was originally contributed in 1999 and the last protocol-specific update to it was in 2008. It does receive generic maintenance, but in the AFS sense it has been effectively frozen.

Is there anybody on this list (or anybody you could forward this to), who could interpret the code flow in print-rx.c and address the fall-through warnings (break from the case or mark up as a genuine fall-through)? It would also be very helpful if an AFS encoding expert looked through the rest of the code in print-rx.c (less than 3000 lines) and told where the decoder is on the scale between "obsolete" and "100% up to date". Ideally the expert would also contribute a quality patch to make the code up to date, but that sounds too good to be true, I know.

Thank you.

--
    Denis Ovsienko