[OpenAFS-devel] FreeBSD 11.2 support, and some questions on /usr/ports/net/openafs

Måns Nilsson mansaxel@besserwisser.org
Sun, 25 Nov 2018 09:41:29 +0100

--AyMxp50UHmBw7FcH

Hi,=20

FreeBSD 11.1 is EOL as of 2018-09-30, so I've done some naive tinkering
to get openafs 1.8.2 to build on FreeBSD 11.2. I do get things to build=20
by creating

src/config/param.i386_fbsd_112.h
src/config/param.amd64_fbsd_112.h

=66rom their 11.1 siblings and just upping the digits. In addition,=20

I put in a new line: (again just upping the numbers)

#define SYS_NAME_ID_amd64_fbsd_112     3042

in src/config/afs_sysnames.h. The resulting source tree builds.  When I
"make install", and copy the kernel module to the current kernel moddir,
jury-rig an /usr/local/etc/openafs/*, a cache-dir and start script, etc,
(all those bits untouched from the 10.x port) and run  the startscript,
I get a working AFS client.

I have copied the source tree into AFS from local disk, and rebuilt it
in AFS using this client. File server is local to me (same rack and GE
networking) and everything feels snappy and usable.

If this is useful to the community at large I can work on getting a
patch submitted. (There is that git learning curve; this lazy sysadmin
is still on RCS mostly...)

As for ports packaging, I've played around by just substituting bztarball
names and checksums and removing patches that are rejected because a
lot has changed since 1.6.22. By patching and adding files per above
I get a build that goes through. A number of files are missing or are
orphans for the install and package steps, though; "make check-orphans"
is quite upset. Again, this surely is because of the large changes.=20

I'm tempted to just recreate the plist and re-add the various bits needed.
My main question here, though, is if I'm clumsily recreating something
better done elsewhere.

Please advise.=20
--=20
M=C3=A5ns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE           SA0XLR            +46 705 989668
I'm wearing PAMPERS!!

--AyMxp50UHmBw7FcH

--AyMxp50UHmBw7FcH--