[OpenAFS-devel] Happy 20th Birthday to OpenAFS!

Dave Botsch botsch@cnf.cornell.edu
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 10:06:20 -0400

Help us celebrate! Twenty years ago, on October 31, 2000, the OpenAFS pro=
ject was created by a small group of individuals at Carnegie Mellon Unive=
rsity, with its corpus owing to the generosity of IBM.  In their release,=
 IBM cast forth a largely complete version of its AFS 3.6 source tree und=
er the IBM public license.

In the two decades until now, many a developer contributed to the project=
=E2=80=99s success and relevance.  We would like to thank any and all con=
tributors, and we hope that OpenAFS will flourish for many years to come!

Here a copy of the original IBM announcement:
=E2=80=9CTo:            AFS Community
From:          Laura Stentz
Subject:       OpenAFS Source Code
Date:          October 31, 2000

I am very pleased to inform you that the OpenAFS source code is now
available on the IBM DeveloperWorks Web site in the Open Source Zone!
(Please see:  http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/afs f=
or
instructions on downloading the code.)   We realize that many of you have=
 been anxiously awaiting the release of the code, and we look forward to =
your contributions to OpenAFS!    Thanks to all of my IBM colleagues for =
their hard work making OpenAFS a reality!

Happy Halloween!
Laura=E2=80=9D

Happy Halloween, indeed!
With best wishes,
Margarete Ziemer on the behalf of the Board of Directors of The OpenAFS F=
oundation, Inc.