[OpenAFS-devel] Recovering from a crashed file server?

Kenneth Aaker kenaaker@gmail.com
Tue, 5 Apr 2022 17:46:12 -0500

--000000000000a280ac05dbf0031d

I've been messing around with this since last Thursday, so be gentle.  If
this is an inappropriate venue, just tell me.

Anyway, the fundamental question seems to be "Can I use vos syncvldb to get
the existing volumes for /vicepa, ... to show up again in the file
server?"  The bit of the file server that died was the hard drive that the
system was installed on, so I've lost every bit of OpenAFS server
configuration that I had accumulated...  The /vicep* (in particular
/vicepa, /vicepb, /vicepc, and /videpd) areas seem to be intact (they were
on other hard drives). But, I can't get any of the volumes from any of the
/vicep* directories to be served by the file server process. The vos
command insists that the VLDB has "Total entries: 0" and displays nothing.
But a vos command to list volumes insists that there are 40 volumes on the
file server?

At this point, I'm nursing scars from attempting to figure out what is
going on, so I'm a little reluctant to just try a "vos syncvldb" command.

Advice?

Best Regards,
Ken Aaker

--000000000000a280ac05dbf0031d

, so be gentle.=C2=A0 If this is an inappropriate venue, just tell me.<div>=
 vos syncvldb=C2=A0to get the existing volumes for /vicepa, ... to show up =
again in the file server?&quot;=C2=A0 The bit of the file server that died =
was the hard drive that the system was installed on, so I&#39;ve lost every=
 bit of OpenAFS server configuration that I had accumulated...=C2=A0 The /v=
icep* (in particular /vicepa, /vicepb, /vicepc, and /videpd) areas seem to =
be intact (they were on other hard drives). But, I can&#39;t get any of the=
 volumes from any of the /vicep* directories to be served by the file serve=
r process. The vos command insists that the VLDB has &quot;Total entries: 0=
&quot; and displays nothing.=C2=A0 But a vos command to list volumes insist=
 this point, I&#39;m nursing scars from attempting to figure out what is go=
ing on, so I&#39;m a little reluctant to just try a &quot;vos syncvldb&quot=

--000000000000a280ac05dbf0031d--