[OpenAFS-devel] Build system help

Cheyenne Wills cwills@sinenomine.net
Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:56:25 -0600

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 17:38:39 +0000
Ben Huntsman <ben@huntsmans.net> wrote:

> Hi everyone-
>    I had a thought that it would be interesting to see if the AIX
> build could be set up to work with either GCC or XLC, whereas
> currently it's pretty hard-coded around XLC.  Furthermore, builds
> with GCC don't work as extra things have to be done when building the
> kernel extension.
>
>    However, not being intimately familiar with the build system,
> would anyone have a suggestion as to where to start?  I'm looking at
> src/cf/sysname.m4 and see that based on the sysname value selected
> there, certain compiler selections and options get defined in
> src/cf/osconf.m4.  However, we probably don't want to define sysnames
> like rs_aix72_gcc and rs_aix72_xlc.  Would it be best to add more
> complex logic to osconf.m4 to detect xlc or gcc and set the variables
> there accordingly, or would there be a more appropriate place?
>
> Thank you!
>
> -Ben

The selection of the compiler can be controlled via "CC=" on a command
line when running configure.  From there, within the autoconf scripts
you would need to check for the specific compiler being used and set
the flags as needed (take a look at linux and the use of gcc vs clang
as a possible model).

--
Cheyenne Wills
cwills@sinenomine.net