[OpenAFS-Doc] docbook conversion update

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:46:19 -0400

In message <873botto15.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu>,Russ Allbery writes:
>I would strongly prefer to use the already-developed tools and work to
>convert the AdminRef to POD and maintain the man pages in POD.  I find POD

it doesnt bother me as long as you preserve enough information to convert
back to docbook meaningfully so a full hardcopy of all the man pages can
be printed.   this means keeping the index information.  pod does have
some support for this with via X<>.  it cant handle the primary/secondary
index terms but judicious use of commas would probably be sufficient.

>about an order of magnitude easier to edit and maintain than DocBook
>refentry.  Note that this work is mostly done and I'm just waiting for 1.4

refentry looks complicated at first, but its not too awful.  pod seems
more procedural, like *roff, instead of being a true markup language.
but for man pages, i dont think that really matters.