[OpenAFS-Doc] Final (from Latex) pdf's and html's available

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:24:38 -0700

See the Sept 2004 mailing list and the enclosed e-mails with the previous
afs doc manager Renato Arruda.

Renato had a Latex version of all the docs partially done and in cvs. There
were several problems with Renato's sed scripts so html2latex was used
instead...

I suppose I could create diffs and update the Latex cvs archive, if its
still there...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Relevant off-line e-mail:

Ted,

    I agree that TeX is a lot better for most situations, but when it comes
down to man pages we can either do nroff or go with the info format from
gnu. and i think nroff does the job well. Maybe i should work on getting
them to LaTeX and then write a script to generate the nroff man pages.

    I guess i'll just try to finish up this script and familiarize myself
with nroff and then convert the data from html to LaTeX.

    What part of the manual you are working on again?

AFS Administrator's Guide
AFS Administration Reference
AFS Quick Start Guide for UNIX
AFS Quick Start Guide for Windows NT/2000 AFS User's Guide

    I know i had a couple of those done in CVS, i'm pretty sure about AFS
User's Guide though. I think i had some work on AFS Administrator's Guide,
but I don't really know the status of the  AFS Administration Guide.

    If you feel it's better to toss out some of that work and start fresh,
i'm ok with that. Most of what's there was built using scripts i wrote
myself which i lost when i lost my $HOME volume.

    I've been thinking actually that we could do some research on DocBook.
Maybe we could use it to then generate LaTeX, HTML, PDF, nroff and all sorts
of other file formats. The PHP Project uses it for their documentation and
the result is pretty slick. More info on
http://www.php.net/manual/howto/chapter-docbook.html . I'm not sure we want
to move to it or not, since it could make things overly complex, but it's
something worth looking at.

-Renato