[OpenAFS-Doc] Re: [Fwd: documentation patches]

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sun, 05 Aug 2007 18:39:33 -0400

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> writes:
>

>> Hi,
>>

>> Get your fresh, hot patches!!
>>

>> New man pages: pod1/fs_setcrypt, pod1/fs_getcrypt, pod5/CellAlias
>>

> Thanks!  Committed with some editing.  A few notes:
>
>  * Cross-references to man pages should be in the form:
>
>        L<page(1)>,
>        L<other-page(8)>,
>        L<something(5)>
>
>    Note the commas and the lack of blank lines between the references so
>    that they're wrapped together on one line in the man page output.
>
>  * Flags should be given with B<-flag> when defined or referenced or as
>    C<-flag> when talking about an example of what someone would type.  See
>    the pod2man man page for details on style here.
>
>  * Use three spaces of indentation for verbatim text, such as in examples.
>
>  * In examples, put "% " before commands the user types.
>
> Overall, this looks really good.  I'm starting on your other man pages
> now.

You're welcome. I'm glad to  help. I think OpenAFS rocks, and I really
want to see it succeed! World domination is the ultimate goal. All other
network filesystems will kneel before OpenAFS.... ;)

As I see it, OpenAFS is no more complicated than other similar products.
I think that excellent documentation is the biggest deficiency.

I admit that seeing my name on the man pages boosts my ego, but that's a
side benefit.

Thanks for the tips on style and content. I hope to contribute more in
the future.

Sincerely,
Jason