[OpenAFS-Doc] updating user guide

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:00:29 -0800

Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> writes:

> I agree kinit is not an AFS command, but it is so integral that it might
> as well be.

I agree that in a rewrite of our manuals, we really should talk about
kinit.  I think we can mention both methods of obtaining tokens (kinit and
aklog or klog) somewhere, and then refer back to that section.  klog does
still work with a Kerberos v5 infrastructure, but given the single DES
limitation, I'm not sure we want to advertise it too much.

> Looking at:
> http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/UserGuide/auusg005.htm#Header_44
>
> What should the klog line be replaced by? As far as I know, the
> recommended way is "kinit;aklog".  If it's not that, then what should it
> be?

I think you're right on the recommendation.

> How do klog.krb and the other .krb commands fit in?

They're obsolete and probably should be only mentioned in an appendix.