[OpenAFS-Doc] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] "openafs" man page

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:01:55 +0000

> For Unix this would result in easy access to the information from all
> man pages. =20

This isn't the kind of material that would traditionally appear in a =
manpage, certainly not with the kind of verbosity you are suggesting =
(our contributors list, alone, is over 200 names). There's a tradition =
on Linux and some other systems of putting this kind of information, =
along with a copy of the license, into /usr/share/doc/. I'm not against =
having a manpage, but I do think that something along these lines would =
be more in keeping.

I also think that improving our crediting of contributors should be part =
of the website revamp (whatever happened to the project that the elders =
funded to do that?) - and that a link to that website, and an =
attribution statement (for the software, not the author of the manpage) =
should be part of each and every manpage.

We also badly need to come up with some kind of statement on adding =
copyright messages to source code files. There are far too many files in =
the tree that start with loads of lines of different and, in many cases, =
contradictory licenses. I think we should only permit one license per =
source code file (I've no objection to adding copyright holders to an =
existing license, though). If a contributor wishes to add code under =
their own licence, and that is acceptable to the gatekeepers, then they =
should do so in its own file.

Cheers,

Simon.