[OpenAFS-Doc] bos addhost -clone

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Wed, 18 May 2011 12:24:24 -0400

http://docs.openafs.org/Reference/8/bos_addhost.html

     -clone
     Register the host given by -host as a non-voting clone
     site, which prevents the host from becoming a sync-site.
     This is an advanced feature and should be used with caution.

This isn't very helpful information.  I don't know enough
about it to expand on it, and 5 minutes searching Google
shows that, as far as I can tell, nobody's ever explained
it.

This is an example of what I consider to be a significant
problem with OpenAFS releases.

When was this added?  Where is it explained, official
documentation guides aside, even in some release notes
for that version?

What process do "we" have for blocking releases until
the documentation is updated to reflect any new options
or altered behavior?  Why is the documentation considered
a second or third-class citizen in the release process?
The development team sure wouldn't make a release with
half of something coded and enabled.

The longer that isn't in place, the more skew will grow,
right?

I'm well aware of the volunteer nature involved here,
am not coming down on anyone, etc.  I get it.  I'm
part of it.  But let's do something about it, no?