[OpenAFS] Using OpenAFS for implementing mail servers

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
07 Dec 2000 14:45:05 -0500

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> locking.  We take a different approach and assign each user to one and
> only one POP server, but use DNS to give them names of the form
> username.pobox.stanford.edu so that we can move things between POP servers
> if necessary.

MIT does a similar thing (except MIT uses Hesiod instead of raw DNS
for the pobox lookup).  I would not recommend using AFS for mail
storage (except by the end user).  Use POP or IMAP for users to
connect, and just load-balance the machines by splitting which users
use which servers.

-derek