[OpenAFS] a few open afs questions...

Brian Kosick briank@nacs.net
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:59:55 -0500

Hello all,
	First of all I'd like to thank all those who helped me to get up and
running with it.  Second of all I'd like to know how the stability is with
it.  Once its compiled, I have had my machines lock up once or twice
because of it. (User error perhaps ;-) )  But over all it seems pretty
solid to me.  The file caching really surprised me, when I first setup it
up, I copied a relatively large user directory over to it, and logged in...
I had to check twice to see if I was really on the remote box or not.;-)  I
really was not prepared for it.

What I'm trying to do is set up a server cluster, and mount the file
systems of the nodes using afs.  (I'm currently utilizing a nfs solution
and not too impressed).  If any one has some experiences with the pros and
cons of something like this could email me I'd appreciate it.

  Also, what if two people modify the same document at once?  Ideally, I
would like to put things like "/var/spool/mail", web pages and perhaps
databases on it.  Oh yeah, does play nice with RAID 5?

Thanks,
Brian Kosick
Web Programmer
New Age Consulting Service, Inc.