[OpenAFS] Directory layout for new cells

Sam Hartman hartmans@mit.edu
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:07:15 -0500 (EST)

So, I'm working on Debian packages for Openafs.  Partially because of
Debian policy and partially because it is useful to the user community
, I'm trying to make it easy to set up AFS cells.

As such, I'm working on  a script to create and populate root.afs,
root.cell and the top volumes in the cell.

I'm interested in whether anyone else is doing something similar  for
other operating systems/environments.  If so, we should work together.

I'm also interested in established practice for what belongs in an
initial cell.  I'm mostly ignoring the Transarc documentation because
I believe it is a bit dated and seems to focus more on how your
clients find their AFS binaries than on how to set up a cell to get
useful work done.  If the point of a cell organization is only to make
the lives of the AFS administrators (as apposed to the users) easier,
then perhaps that cell is not yet a critical part of the community it
serves.

I tend to be a bit MIT-centric in my cell organization; I think
cell/system/@sys is cleaner than cell/@sys, etc.  However, I'm
interested in discussion of general cell hierarchy.

--Sam