[OpenAFS] Directory layout for new cells

Sam Hartman hartmans@mit.edu
15 Nov 2000 17:41:41 -0500

    Chas> In message
    Chas> <200011152207.RAA18102@sweet-transvestite.mit.edu>,Sam
    Chas> Hartman write s:
    >> I tend to be a bit MIT-centric in my cell organization; I think
    >> cell/system/@sys is cleaner than cell/@sys, etc.  However, I'm
    >> interested in discussion of general cell hierarchy.

    Chas> well... we use depot and cell/@sys points the appropriate
    Chas> release tree from the depot system.  so people put
    Chas> /afs/cmf/@sys/bin in their paths.  in the old days (when
    Chas> running sunos) it was rather important to keep the path to
    Chas> bin short so #! in shell scirpts would work correctly.

I understand why this was done and I'm not trying to convince existing
cells to change.  I'm also not really addressing large cells.  They'll
have their own requirements and if they have to do some/all of the
cell creation on their own, well that's OK.

I'm thinking about new small cells--many of them single-server cells
running on one machine.  Most such cells will not be running SunOS or Ultrix.

If I were building Depot from scratch, would it be possible to
reasonably change /afs/cell/@sys to /afs/cell/system/@sys in a few
places in the source?