Dynamic root.afs (was Re: [OpenAFS] Directory layout for new cells)

Sam Hartman hartmans@mit.edu
16 Nov 2000 15:21:06 -0500

    >> I would certainly prefer not to include DNS directly in the
    >> kernel module, which implies a callback to some user-space
    >> process to perform the DNS request.  I'm not sure how this
    >> would work, except, perhaps, another afsd thread that sits
    >> waiting for 'callbacks' from the kernel?

    Neulinger,> Why get so complicated? Just have the existing 'afsd'
    Neulinger,> trap requests for the 'root.afs' volume and handle
    Neulinger,> them internally. If you make this an option - people
    Neulinger,> can still choose to continue using a REAL root.afs
    Neulinger,> volume, or they can have afsd build a virtual one
    Neulinger,> instead.

Even were this possible, you probably want to have support for kernel
to callback to userspace.  I suspect that RX3 will need to do this
anyway, for example, if different servers have different keys.