[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Linux

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 20:19:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> --On Sunday, April 01, 2001 03:46:35 PM +0200 David Hajek <hajek@idoox.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello OpenAFS Gurus,
> >
> > I would like to replace NFS+NIS with OpenAFS. My question is
> > whether the OpenAFS on Linux(server,clients) and Windows(clients)
> > is ready for production usage. We would like to use OpenAFS on
> > Redhat Linux, Debian Linux and Windows 2k. Server will be on
> > Redhat Linux. How stable is OpenAFS? Do you recommed to use
> > it in production environment or is it just for devel hackers
> > now?
>
> I think at this point 1.0.4 when released should be a reasonable base. I
> would, however, recommend that you start from what's in CVS now, or wait
> for 1.0.4

And I'll follow that up with a recommendation that people who are going
to run software in production and not hack on it should always use
released versions and _never_ just pull something out of CVS.  Not only
will you be more likely to get something working, but it will be easier
for people to help with any problems you may encounter if you can tell
them exactly what version you are running.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer