[OpenAFS] admin problem with AFS - krb5

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:44:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> >User's (AFS ID 1) tokens for afs@iwrmm.uni-karlsruhe.de [Expires May  1 15:47]
>
> However ... while this is a symptom of your problem, this is an
> extremely misunderstood feature of AFS.  The same thing can happen if
> you use the -noprdb switch to aklog ... it's completely benign.  As far
> as I've been able to determine, the whole point of the "AFS ID N"
> information in your kernel token cache is to make the output of
> "tokens" prettier.  I don't believe it serves any other purpose.

For completeness, not because I expect it to matter elsewhere, I will
point out that the Andrew Mail System, which hopefully no one else was
foolish enough to deploy, and if they were hopefully are not still using,
uses the AFS id to establish the identity of mail senders. Yes, it gets
the id from the tokens, so if you've done something to get tokens with no
prdb lookup, your mail client whines.

-D