[OpenAFS] Number of volume limits

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 01:48:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, [iso-8859-1] Jérôme Bolliet wrote:

> I have search in transarc documentation... but i don't find.
>
> Which is the limit on the number of volume created in one cell ?
> Is there a limits on the number of volume by vicep ?

There is no practical limit on the number of volumes in one cell.  The
volume ID counter will run out at 4294967295, but to reach that, you'd
have to create one volume per second, every second, for nearly 120 years.

There is no limit imposed by the volume package on the number of volumes
on a vice partition.  Certain operations like creating, deleting, and
cloning volumes may get slightly less efficient as the number of volumes
increases, since the root directory of a vice partition contains a file
for each volume on that partition.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer