[OpenAFS] overide 8 char userids?

Corey Kovacs ckovacs@DEPAUW.EDU
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 21:56:19 -0500

when doing a uss bulk add with -dryrun, I got an error telling me that the
userid field was over 8 chars. Here is a dump of the output...

uss: * User field in add cmd too long (max is 8 chars; truncated value is
'jgeringe')
LINE 7 FAIL add jgeringer:Jason Geringer:<initial password>
here::helios:a::1010

here is the template file I am using..
V homestudent.$USER $SERVER.csc.depauw.edu /vicep$PART 10000
/afs/.csc.depauw.edu/home/$USER $UID $USER all faculty read

the userids that are shorter than 8 chars report success. I had not thought
there was a limit of 8 chars until
this and couldn't find any reference to it in the manuals...

any ideas?