[OpenAFS] Using tmpfs for afs cache

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v+@andrew.cmu.edu
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:45:35 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from internet.computing.openafs.info: 4-Dec-101 Re: [OpenAFS]
Using tmpfs f.. by David Thompson@cs.wisc.e
> Now we just gotta make the thing work...
I doubt this will happen soon. The problem that afs has with tmpfs is
that it is not structured like a traditional unix filesystem. It does
not appear to have inode numbers, and more importantly, it does not use
iget() (or iget4()) when transforming a struct dentry * into a struct
inode * (in fact, I can't figure out how this transformation happens.
more dentry magic...), which in turn means that other code can't use
iget() either. Therefore,  src/afs/LINUX/osi_file.c:osi_UFSOpen fails to
work with this filesystem. Correcting this, like the issues with
reiserfs, would involve changing the osi_file *interface*, not just it's
implimentation on linux.