[OpenAFS] questions on AFS

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
05 Dec 2001 00:38:23 -0800

Srinivas, Mohan <mohan.srinivas@digital.com> writes:

> 2) I came to know that AFS is not supporting byte level locking?  Many
> application make use of Byte level locking? Why has AFS has not
> implmented it,

Because it's hard.  :)

> although large univercities use it?

As a representative of sorts of a large university, I can say that we've
never really had any need for byte-range locking and have never missed
it.  We've missed cross-directory hard links and special files more than
byte range locking, and even those I only notice every six months or so,
tops.

> Does the commercial version of AFS support byte range locking.?

No.  Transarc's version of AFS if anything has less functionality than
OpenAFS.